Everyone knows salt is a killer. It causes high blood pressure, heart disease and God knows what else. Which is why it’s absolutely vital to eat tasteless soups, bland meats and other low-salt foods or risk early death…
Except — you guessed it — it’s pure nonsense!
In fact, eating much more salt than the American Heart Association recommends is associated with a much lower risk of heart disease.
Salt has been used as a natural flavoring for thousands of years and it’s so vital to our existence that we’ve even been created with a portion of our tongue designated to taste saltiness.
As I’m sure you’re aware, salt is seen as negative and bad by many organizations like the American Heart Association. Now I’m not saying you should start shoveling salt into your mouth but I want to clarify there is a major difference between processed table salt and real sea salt.
Sea Salt vs Table Salt
Table “salt” is manufactured by taking natural salt (such as crude oil flake leftovers) and heating it to 1200° Fahrenheit. During this extreme process, the chemical composition is completely altered and all of the nutritional benefits are destroyed.
In the end, generic table “salt” ends up being about 97.5% sodium chloride and a 2.5% balance containing an array of ingredients including:
• Anti-caking chemicals.
• Iodine to prevent goiters.
• MSG and/or white processed sugar to help stabilize the iodine.
• And aluminum derivatives such as sodium solo-co-aluminate.
Trust me when I tell you that no one really knows what’s in this stuff and calling it “salt” is a complete mis-representation! Ultimately, this processed “fake” salt puts people at risk of developing cardiovascular events and chronic disease because of elevated blood pressure and arteriosclerosis.
So when the AHA says that salt is bad for you, this is correct only when referring to table “salt.” Unlike real salt, processed “salt” will cause your body to retain fluids and is so toxic that your body will operate in a sympathetic fight-or-flight response to protect itself from damage when you eat it.
Subsequently, it should be no surprised that people who use these products develop diabetes, gout and obesity more than people who don’t.
Additionally, most table “salt” is iodized and puts people at risk for over-iodization, which has been shown to abnormally enlarge the thyroid gland and cause thyroid-related autoimmune disorders.
Real Salt Benefits and Beyond
On the other hand, if we were talking about REAL salt like Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan salt then I believe it has many benefits and should be used daily.
Because of the life-giving nutrition sea salt contains:
• Contains 60 trace minerals which help you stay hydrated.
• Sufficient sodium levels that help balance your sodium-potassium ratios.
• Powerful electrolytes like magnesium.
• Trace elements required for proper adrenal, immune and thyroid function.
• Digestive enzyme enhancers, which help your body absorb more nutrients from the foods that you eat.
What is the best sea salt?
It is claimed by many that Himalayan crystal salt is the purest salt available on the planet. With a history dating back to Earth’s creation, it is believed to be composed of dried remnants of the original, primal sea.
Known as “pink gold,” Himalayan crystal salt is actually a beautiful translucent pink and contains all of the 84 elements found in your body.
Because of amazing nutrient load, doctors of functional medicine report that regularly eating Himalayan salt can help:
• Regulate the water content throughout your body
• Promote healthy pH balance in your cells (particularly your brain cells)
• Promote blood sugar health and can help reduce the signs of aging
• Assist in the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in your body
• Absorb food particles through your intestinal tract
• Support respiratory health
• Promote sinus health
• Prevent of muscle cramps
• Promote bone strength
• Regulate your sleep
• Support your libido
• Promote vascular health
• Regulate your blood pressure with sufficient water and potassium intake.